Friday, December 7, 2018

WEIGHT GAIN and INFLAMMATION revisited.


As the holidays sneak up on us so do our stress levels adding to the already predominant problem most of us suffer from. Once we begin to feel this overwhelming stress of trying to keep up with work, shopping, cooking and whatever else comes along, we tend to turn to comfort foods. Ironically, most of these foods result in anything BUT comfort. In fact, they can lead to not only weight gain but chronic pain. 

INFLAMMATION is the root cause of pain, weight gain and many diseases and conditions including heart disease, diabetes, and arthritis. And something no one wants to hear. CANCER! But how does it all start? Usually, by the foods we eat.      Can I make that any clearer?  What you put in your mouth CAN KILL YOU!

As I may have (gently) mentioned, lol SUGAR IS DEADLY! This cannot be emphasized enough. Processed sugars and starches promote inflammation throughout the body. When your body is in a state of chronic inflammation, it gives way to wreak havoc throughout your system. It is now being proven through hundreds of studies that chronic inflammation causes food allergies, neuropathy, celiac, and other autoimmune diseases.

Weight gain and arthritis do not have to be a rite of passage for us as we age. There undoubtedly will be changes in our bodies that we do have to accept but we CAN fight back and age healthfully by making a few adjustments to our daily habits. 

Not everyone is committed as you are Robyn! I hear this a lot. Here's what I say to that. GROW UP! There are many genes we inherit but I've never heard of a commitment gene. It's all about lifestyle and adopting new habits. Habits as we've discussed previously take awhile to adhere. 

Phillippa Lally, a health psychology researcher over a 12-week study of 96 people found that it takes around 2 months with variation among personalities to form new consistent habits. On average, anywhere from 18-254 days.  Can you see why CONSISTENCY is so important? 

Studies have also supported the fact that after a habit is formed and solidified, messing up on occasion does not negate all efforts. Therefore offering the encouragement that you do not have to be perfect! And you can enjoy that occasional treat WITHOUT guilt.  But I'm here to let you know (sorry) that it does have to be earned.

Listen, I'm not trying to be someone in their 50's hoping to look like someone in their 20's. For me, it's all about overall health. Having spent the better part of my life without my mother whose beautiful life cancer claimed.  I want to be here as healthy and as long as possible for my kids. To share all their important events in their lives that my mother, unfortunately, missed out on. In addition, I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant which is a condition that disappears once you give birth but also comes with a greater risk of developing it later on in life. If I can reduce my risk factors by cutting out sugar and living a healthy lifestyle, why wouldn't I? 

4 years ago I began to cut down on sugar and wheat. About a year and a half ago I cut them out altogether. Was it easy? Nope. But I stuck with it and it took quite a few months to realize the results. But trust me, once you begin and give yourself enough time to make it a habit, it gets easier and easier.  And the best part of all is I really can look forward now to a treat every once in a while and not have an ounce of guilt or worry about going running 5 miles to work it off!  I'm totally serious!

I've been working out faithfully since around the age of 17 but most of my life until I became educated on the subject, was spent cycling. I don't mean the bike kind. The kind where I'd eat anything including as many sweets as I wanted and just go burn it off later. Then I might go for a few weeks without eating any sweets or foods considered unhealthy.  That method may address weight issues, but definitely not overall health! So...I've been there people and if I could do it so could you! 

You CAN take control of your health. You CAN be the force within to prevent and in many cases even reverse illness and disease. Not to mention lose weight which in and of itself is a huge benefit to your health. 

If you need help getting on the right track before the New Year, please give me a call. I promise it won't hurt! Well...maybe just a little but it will be temporary.


No comments:

Post a Comment