Monday, April 9, 2018

EXCUSES?

As a studio owner, I've been asked on occasion what I do for work. The inference being, "do you have a full-time job?" Without getting into the logistics of what it actually takes 24 hours a day 7 days a week to run a business in order to make sure it keeps running (12 years now, thanks), I will say that one of the perks that comes with my job is not having to answer to anyone else. So is my time a little more flexible than those working in an office environment or punching a clock? Sure. Does that give those of you clock punchers an excuse to miss a workout?  It does if you really are o.k. with the 5, 10, 20 or more pounds you've put on over the past decade. And as I've said in some older posts, I truly mean that. No judgment. If that is, in fact, THE TRUTH. But as a fitness professional, I hear complaints and concerns about people's weight issues on a daily basis.  And those same people are usually the ones with the most excuses.  Many of those people are dedicated employees who would never miss a day of work. So why do you miss a "work" out?

Those of you that know me personally, know I'm a super compassionate, understanding, non-judgmental person but when it comes to eating right and working out, I don't buy the excuses. Sorry.  I don't buy the too busy with my kids excuse. Or, the too much on my plate with work, kids, and home excuse. Or even the I don't feel well excuse.  Why? Because all of those things are valid reasons and priorities. Your health should be too. It should be added to your list of the above mentioned. If not, then it's just an excuse. It's as simple as that. 

And the best news of all is...You do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT need to spend hours in a gym to get a great workout.  Exercise can be cumulative (10 minutes here, 10 minutes there) throughout the day or depending on intensity, can be done in 20-30 minutes 3-5 times per week with amazing results! You don't need a gym at all! 

In my class yesterday, we did a high intensity, low impact workout hitting every major muscle group for a total of 35 minutes non-stop including warm-up and cool down!  It was a sweat-fest and fitbits were clocking in at over 200 calories burned.  What's even more of a benefit is that the type of workout we did, helps keep up your burn 24 hours AFTER your workout is over. 

There are myriad ways to incorporate exercise and I've listed them in many other posts. inexpensive home equipment, etc... So excuses? That's where my compassionate self ends.  And if you're feeling like a truck ran you over and/or you have a fever, absolutely rest and do not work out. But if you're feeling sluggish or have a sniffle, trust me when I tell you, you WILL feel better after you work out. Working out with a sniffle is not going to make you worse. It actually helps build your immune system. 

 Proper nutrition has to be in line, however, in order to gain maximum benefits and feel great.  But THAT excuse making is for a future blog. 

For today, GET MOVING!! NO EXCUSES!!

Best,
Robyn


No comments:

Post a Comment